bogofilter and thunderbird

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Aug 7 10:02:52 CEST 2008

Mark Grieveson schrieb:
> I had been using it with Sylpheed-Claws, and liked it very much.  Due to
> some friends sending me html mail, I've recently switched to Icedove
> (aka Thunderbird).  I read in the faq for bogofilter that "Bogofilter
> is known to work with kmail, mozilla-mail, mutt, pine, sylpheed-claws,
> thunderbird. A google search will help you find more information on
> using bogofilter with the mail program you use."  I did try a google
> search, and a subsequent cuil search, and, alas, I have found nothing
> about how to set up bogofilter with thunderbird.  So, how is this done?

Hi Mark,

two things:

1 - personally I find Thunderbird's builtin (trainable) Junk filter good
enough I wouldn't bother to use bogofilter with Thunderbird if Thunderbird
is used alone.

2 - if Thunderbird isn't the only software, then you can use bogofilter to
insert an X-Spamicity: header into messages and afterwards configure
Thunderbird's filters to move messages marked as spam or unsure into
separate folders.

HTH