mailbox vs maildir

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Apr 17 13:38:26 CEST 2008

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 01:00:13 -0500
Karl Schmidt wrote:

> Off list - so please copy me.
>
> I've been using bogofilter with a mailbox files and want to move to
> maildir.
>
>  From the man page "The -M option tells bogofilter to process its
> input as a mbox formatted file." Do I use this same switch for
> maildir ?
>
> I'm assuming you just point to the directory? Or do you need aa
> wildcard? An example of the two uses in the man page would be great.
>

> For my current mailbox setup I have a script called spamin:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> wajig stop exim4
> bogofilter -M -Ns  -I /home/karl/mail/s-2B-scaned_spam
> cd /var/spool/bogofilter
> chown Debian-exim.Debian-exim *
> wajig start exim4
>
> How would I point to a maildir folder?

Hello Karl,

It would be best if you subscribed to the list (which happens to be a
low traffic list).  Bogofilter works with maildir folders, but I don't
personally use them.  However I'll try to help.

'-M' is the "classify-mbox" flag and tells bogofilter to process
multiple messages from a single file.  You don't want this for maildir.

The '-I' flag names the input source -- whether it be a file with a
single message, a file with multiple messages (mbox), or a directory
with multiple messages (maildir).  This should work for you.

Looking at the help messages, they all have wording "-I -- input
file".  I'll see about revising them.

Try the flag changes described above and let me know how it goes.

By the way, the FAQ addresses (minimally) the issue of maildirs.  Once
you get it working, let me know what you've done and I'll add an
example to the FAQ.

Regards,