Ways to trick the lexer

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Jun 9 01:37:23 CEST 2007

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 19:28:20 -0400
Tom Allison wrote:

> David Relson wrote:
> > On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 17:50:09 -0400
> > Thomas Anderson wrote:
> >
> >> As the others have basically said, something you may consider to
> >> be a cunning trick at first actually loses its effectiveness rather
> >> quickly. Just train on them.  Come back if they're still causing
> >> problems in a few days or weeks (depending on how many you get a
> >> day).
> >>
> >> Tom
> >
> > The cunning trick tends to be a one-time success.  After you train
> > with such a message, the next time "SEIX8UALLY" appears in a
> > Subject line it is known to bogofilter as spam.  I think of it as
> > being a red flag saying "look at me, I'm spam".
> >

> Isn't this where the debate on esf and robx/robs comes into play
> where you can set tendencies for unknown tokens to be more
> spammy/hammy then the 0.500?

Yes, that would apply.  "bogofilter -q" will show what
parameters bogofilter is using when scoring.  Most likely
the default values are in use.

To see how a message is being scored, use one of the
following commands:

   bogofilter -vv < message
   bogofilter -vvv < message

The output is described in the FAQ.