procmail: Timeout, terminating "/usr/bin/bogofilter"

Daniel Leidert daniel.leidert.spam at gmx.net
Sun Jan 14 03:51:42 CET 2007

Am Samstag, den 13.01.2007, 20:41 -0500 schrieb David Relson:
> On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 02:31:01 +0100
> Daniel Leidert wrote:
>
> > I went away a few days ago and back today I wanted to fetch all my
> > mails (ca. 10000 at once). My system consists of: fetchmail -> exim ->
> > procmail -> (several filters, bogofilter, spamassassin, clamassassin)
> > -> cyrus

[a lot of bogofilter processes and slow processing]
> > procmail: Timeout, terminating "/usr/bin/bogofilter"
[..]
> I encountered something similar recently.  My environment is postfix,
> procmail, and bogofilter.  At present postfix has a 200 MB file size
> limit and wordlist.db was getting near that.  Bogofilter was detecting
> the nearness.  Couple that with my use of "-U" (autoupdate) which
> requires write access to the database.  The result was bogofilter
> refusing to run.  This resulted in mail being delivered without
> bogofilter scoring (as shown by lack of X-Bogosity line), multiple
> copies of the messages (as procmail repeatedly tried running
> bogofilter), and multiple instances of bogofilter running.  In this
> situation, the fix was to run "bf_compact" to compact wordlist.db so
> that the postfix file size limit wasn't being triggered.  Longer term,
> the options seem to be increase the file size limit, stop using "-U" to
> slow down database growth, or use bogoutil to discard old tokens.
>
> Don't know if this will help any, though my symptoms are very similar
> to yours!

Unfortunately it did not help :( I used bf_compact and the size of
wordlist.db was reduced to 110 MB. Then I started fetchmail again for
some 800 mails. Now I found some more messages telling me:

Unable to allocate memory for transaction detail
Can't open file 'wordlist.db' in directory '/home/dl/.bogofilter/'.
error #12 - Cannot allocate memory.
procmail: Program failure (3) of "/usr/bin/bogofilter"
procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded

The file did exist and it worked before and after this error occurred
(it occurred 10-12 times or so). During the complete run, the amount of
bogofilter processes increased up to 450 (max) and again processes were
terminated by procmail after time-out.

I'm now going to check my memory and my file-systems again. This is
weired. Never had this problem before. 450 processes at the same time
for 800 mails is a bad situation.

Regards, Daniel