Bogofilter Behaviour on encountering error is unacceptable.

K T Ligesh ligesh at lxlabs.com
Wed Feb 21 00:13:39 CET 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 11:50:57PM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:

> The default behavior is about as sane as it can get: describe what the
> user needs to do to fix the situation, and exit with an error code.
>
> There is no such thing as a default integration scheme, it's all up to
> the user what he or she makes of the exit code, and write scripts to
> deal with such conditions.
>
> We're not going to play double paranoid, because that game has no end.

 Munging the mail when it encounters a configuration error is a bit draconian. For instance, spamc from spamassassin will return the entire mail unaltered when it can't contact spamd service.

> The default behavior is to consume, process and discard standard input
> and exit with code 0, 1, 2 or 3 depending on what bogofilter thinks of
> the input, without any output... - so if you expect bogofilter to always
> emit its input, you've GOT to re-read the manual!

 My idea of spam filter is one that will _tag_ the message if it can, and leave the message unaltered when it can't. Isn't that much more logical and simple behaviour?

> As written in my earlier message, fix your setup. That likely means
> configuration error in your terms - but nobody can make a final call on
> that without actually seeing what you're doing, as somebody else wrote
> so carefully. I'm just poking into the black here...

 I have replied earlier, but here it is again.

-------
 | bogofilter -p | maildir <mailpath>
-----

 It is very simple, and contains no logic. It sends the mail to bogofilter, and it expects the mail to reach other end safely even if bogofilter fails.

 Thanks.