New version of bogofilter-milter.pl

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.brookline.ma.us
Wed Aug 1 05:18:02 CEST 2007

Comments in-line.

On 07/30/2007 07:15 PM, Tom Anderson wrote:
> Comments in-line...
>
> Jonathan Kamens wrote:
>
>> The change from 'mail' to 'LOG_MAIL' in the openlog call is wrong,
>> according to the Sys::Syslog documentation on my machine.  The
>> documentation says that you can use either a facility string, e.g.,
>> 'mail', or a facility macro /without/ quotes, e.g., LOG_MAIL.  It
>> doesn't say that you're allowed to use 'LOG_MAIL' in quotes.  While it's
>> interesting that that works for you :-), since it's contraindicated by
>> the documentation and specifying 'mail' works just fine for me, I don't
>> think I can accept that patch.  Could you dig a little deeper and see if
>> you can figure out what's going on at your end?  What version of Perl
>> are you using (what does "perl -v" return)?  What version of Sys::Syslog
>> are you using (what does "perl -e 'use Sys::Syslog; print
>> $Sys::Syslog::Version;'" return)?
>>

> Seems to me like using "LOG_MAIL" is correct given the docs:

This looks like a difference between the version of Sys::Syslog you're
using and the one I'm using.  I'm using 0.18, but an earlier version,
0.13, is shipped with Perl.  It looks to me like they got more "liberal"
about log facilities in most recent version.  Since it appears that the
'LOG_MAIL' you suggested is compatible with both 0.13 and 0.18, I've
modified the script as you suggested to use that string, even though
it's not the syntax recommended by the Sys::Syslog man page for version
0.18.

> Sure, you can use my name/email.  Please make the email
> neo+bogofilter-milter at orderamidchaos.com.  Here are some comments you
> can append to the top (just an altered version of your comments):

Thanks, I've put an updated version of your gentoo script as well as an
updated version of bogofilter-milter.pl up on my home page
(http://stuff.mit.edu/~jik/).

> BTW, here's another issue I was having that you may or may not know
> something about.  When I put the bogofilter-milter below clamav in my
> sendmail.mc, everything works fine, but when I put clamav under it, it
> says the socket is unsafe.  Any ideas?
>
> Jul 30 19:10:50 [sm-mta] l6UNATfp026297: Milter (bogofilter-milter):
> local socket name /var/run/bogofilter-milter.sock unsafe
> Jul 30 19:10:50 [sm-mta] l6UNATfp026297: Milter (bogofilter-milter): to
> error state

Is it possible that the clamav milter is changing the permissions on
bogofilter-milter.sock?  Other than that, I have no guesses, sorry.
Perhaps ask about it in comp.mail.sendmail?

  jik