Inline image based spam

Chris Wilkes cwilkes-bf at ladro.com
Sat Oct 7 01:13:09 CEST 2006

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 01:50:02PM -0700, John Villalovos wrote:
> I am noticing that I am getting a lot of inline image based spam.
> Typically has a lot of nonsense text and then an image (contained in
> the email) for the spam.
>
> I keep training on the message but they still keep landing in my
> "Unsure" folder.  Has anyone figured out some good ways to help
> bogofilter deal with this better?

I hate to add a "me too" but I'm also getting a lot of 0.49-0.51
spamicity score email that fit this description.

I believe the spam filtering software Vipul's razor worked by sending
parts of an email's text to a server and it hands back a spam value for
it.  Maybe the same could by done with these inline images -- take the
md5 hash of the base64 encoded image and query a central repository.
Spammers would reuse their images and would eventually be caught via
this method.

Anyway I'm open for other ideas, this is very annoying.

Chris