Problems with Asian Spam

Thomas Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Thu Nov 23 03:49:40 CET 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 19:25 +0000, John G Walker wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:28:36 -0500 Tom Anderson
> <tanderso at oac-design.com> wrote:
>
> > You can use JavaScript to obfuscate the addresses you post to your
> > websites.  For instance, instead of using:
>
> This sort of thing is useful, and I have used it myself for several
> years. But I don't think it's true any more that it confuses robots.
> They've got very sophisticated recently,

Unless the robot has a complete JavaScript interpreter built-in, it will
not figure out the address from the code given.  I'm not saying that
they can't have an interpreter, but I highly doubt it.  They'd rather go
for the low-hanging fruit by parsing plain-text than bog down their
systems interpreting JavaScript.

Tom