Problems with Asian Spam

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Wed Nov 22 19:28:36 CET 2006

dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:
> Thanks for all the encouragement.  I think we get hammered extra hard
> because our email addresses are easy to harvest (all of our staffs
> email addresses are listed on a webpage, "so parents can contact staff
> easily").

You can use JavaScript to obfuscate the addresses you post to your
websites.  For instance, instead of using:

You can achieve the same link, but completely boggle the harvesting
bots, by doing this:

<script>email("tanderso","oac-design.com","my email");</script>

You'll just have to define the "email" function in the head of your page:

	<script language="JavaScript">
	function email(address,domain,description)
	{
	        var at = String.fromCharCode(64);
	        if (!description) { description = address+at+domain; }
         	document.write("<a
href='mailto:"+address+at+domain+"'>"+description+"</a>");
	}
	</script>

Few robots have the sophistication to make heads or tails out of that,
and thus you'll stay off quite a few lists, both reducing your direct
spam and also reducing your bounce spam.  You can verify the effect by
going to an email obfuscation tester
(http://willmaster.com/possibilities/demo/RetrieveEmails.cgi) and
plugging in your URL.

Tom