Qmail with Spamassassin (bogofilter to be installed) Question

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Mar 25 03:56:08 CET 2006

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:34:45 -0800
Ryan Pagquil wrote:

...[snip]...

> Hi David,
>
> I need to feed bogofilter ham mails and it means that I need to get
> valid mails from my users and feed it to bogofilter? My user's emails
> directly goes to ~theirhome/Maildir/new or ~theirhome/Maildir/cur so
> I need to get those for my 1000+ users? Is there any simplified
> approach for this? No problem for spam mails since they are reporting it.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Let them know that you're installing a new spam filter and that it
needs training to achieve maximum effectiveness and that you need their
cooperation for that.

My mail client checks for unsure messages and puts them in a special
folder.  I read those messages, classify them, and then forward them to
special email addresses on my mail server, e.g.
this.is.ham at bogofilter.org and this.is.spam at bogofilter.org.  The mail
server takes these messages, removes the "forwarded from" headers, and
feeds them to bogofilter with the proper "-n" or "-s" switch.  The same
process can be used to handle false negatives (spam classified as ham)
and false positives (ham classified as spam).

It _will_ take effort and/or cooperation from your users.  As Robert
Heinlein said, TANSTAAFL!

Regards,