Training problems on version 1.0.2

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Tue Jul 25 01:55:45 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 00:10, David Relson wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 18:45:54 +0200
>
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > This is my first experience with spam filtering, so freely admit that
> > I don't know what I'm doing.
> >
> > Someone on the the KDE list, as I'd asked about Kmail and spam
> > filtering, suggested Bogofilter, so here I am.
> >
> > I have installed Bogofilter from the 1.0.2 tarball, which has
> > installed it in /usr/local/bin .  It's also put the example config
> > file in /etc , and I havn't messed with that, as a guy who wrote a
> > tutorial said he'd left the config file as it was, and had Bogofilter
> > working ok. I created a directory, .bogofilter in my home directory,
> > and 2 new directories in Kmail, named, Spam, and NotSpam, and have
> > been adding emails to both of them.
> >
> > Now I'm trying to train it. As user, I'm cd'ing to Mail/Spam/cur, and
> > then running, bogofilter -sv, which creates a 8KB wordlist.db
> > in .bogofilter.  On the Konsole nothing happens, no verbose output,
> > no return to the command prompt after about 30mins, and I have to
> > quit the shell from the session menu. Running the following, shows
> > whats in .bogofilter/wordlist.db.
> >
> > [djmons at localhost djmons]$ bogoutil -w ~/.bogofilter .MSG_COUNT
> >                                  spam   good
> > .MSG_COUNT                          0      0
> > [djmons at localhost djmons]$ bogoutil -d ~/.bogofilter/wordlist.db
> > .MSG_COUNT 0 0 20060724
> > [djmons at localhost djmons]$
> >
> > Kmails email directories are in the maildir format.
> >
> > Any suggestions will be appreciated.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> Nigel,
>
> 8k is the size of an empty DB4 database.  It sounds like bogofilter
> hasn't entered any data, as yet.  The multi-minute delay sounds like
> bogofilter is waiting patiently for its input.
>
> When you run bogofilter
> how are you identifying the input message (directory)? The following
> techniques are standard for these tasks:
>
>   bogofilter -sv < message
>   bogofilter -sv -B directory
>
> With your directories, initializing the database would use commands:
>
>   bogofilter -sv -B Mail/Spam/cur
>   bogofilter -nv -B Mail/NotSpam/cur
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Regards,
>
> David

Hi David. I was trying,  bogofilter -sv Mail/Spam/cur ,  and was getting an
error about the options needing to be first, but adding the "-B" has fixed
that now.

Next problem I've to try and solve, is why bogofilter is processing all the
incoming mail, and sending the whole lot to my temporary "spam" folder. Thats
for tomorrow, as it's late.

Thanks for the help.

Nigel.