Installation-error: Cannot link against libdb?

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Aug 15 12:57:36 CEST 2006

"Klaas Weeda" <k.weeda at barito.com> writes:

> I downloaded the bogofilter-1.0.3.tar.gz and untarred it.
> I ran ./configure in the bogofilter-directory.
>
> I got the following error (I had no config.cache, so I couldn't remove
> it):

Nevermind.

> configure:12594: checking db and dependent libraries
> configure:12620: gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -Wpointer-arith -ggdb -Wall -W
> -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wshadow -Wbad-function-cast
> -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Waggregate-return
> -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wnested-externs
> -fno-common -Wchar-subscripts -Wcomment -Wimplicit -Wsequence-point
> -Wreturn-type -Wno-system-headers -Wformat   conftest.c -lm    >&5
> conftest.c:89:16: error: db.h: No such file or directory
> conftest.c:92: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
> conftest.c: In function 'main':
> conftest.c:93: warning: implicit declaration of function 'db_version'
> conftest.c:93: warning: nested extern declaration of 'db_version'
> configure:12626: $? = 1

Klaas,

this looks as though your Berkeley DB library headers were missing from
your system (be sure to install the developer package for Berkeley DB,
too), or bogofilter couldn't find them. In the former case, you need to
install the missing package (the name is distribution specific), in the
latter case, David's suggestion will work.

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> Generally, rather than including the full output of ./configure, it's
> more useful to say what distro you're using and what version of
> BerkeleyDB you have installed.

Well, that's what our configure.ac error message told the user, and he
was following the instructions so as to provide a complete error
report. While the size is a bit painful for the list, we know that the
problem was/is.

I have committed changes (to appear in 1.0.4, if ever, and 1.1.1) to
configure.ac that suggest installing the developer package before the
user is to remove config.cache and reconfigure - the aim is to reduce
the delays experienced by the user and give self-support instructions
for a common failure point.