Upgrade question

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Aug 1 19:12:21 CEST 2006

John Fox schrieb:
> I have Gentoo/postfix/bogofilter version 0.94.4 with SleepyCat 4.3.27.
> Are there any pitfalls to upgrading to the latest version 1.0.3? This is
> a production mail filter that I inherited from a former employee and
> don't want to break it. I have the tar ball, have run ./configure, read
> the INSTALL, README, RELEASE.NOTES etc., but I thought it would be
> prudent to check with this list before running make. Many thanks!

Updating - deliberately or inadvertently - the SleepyCat database can cause
headaches with transactional databases if not prepared properly (where
preparations include shutting down the mail system and running maintenance
programs on the database), but reusing the same 4.3.27 library that your
current bogofilter installation uses should be safe.

Since you already read RELEASE.NOTES* and perhaps NEWS, all that remains to
read for you is doc/README.db:

- Non-transactional databases are easy.

- Transactional databases (with __db.* and log.* files) need special care
  which is documented in doc/README.db.

In doubt, tarring up the whole .bogofilter directory before installing the
new bogofilter version (be sure to tar *.db files before log.* files), and
saving old bogofilter executables, allows you do to go back quickly.

HTH,