Error checking Berkeley DB versions on Intel Mac

Chris Wilkes cwilkes-bf at ladro.com
Sat Apr 22 19:23:05 CEST 2006

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 06:50:06AM -0400, David Relson wrote:
> > conftest.c:101: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
> > conftest.c: In function 'main':
> > conftest.c:104: warning: implicit declaration of function 'db_version'
> > conftest.c:104: warning: nested extern declaration of 'db_version'
> > conftest.c:106: error: 'DB_VERSION_MAJOR' undeclared (first use in this
> > function)
> > conftest.c:106: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> > conftest.c:106: error: for each function it appears in.)
> > conftest.c:106: error: 'DB_VERSION_MINOR' undeclared (first use in this
> > function)
> > configure:12786: $? = 1
> > configure: program exited with status 1
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> gcc gets DB_VERSION_xxx from file db.h.  Your problem sounds like gcc
> is finding the wrong header file, so you need to find _which_ db.h is
> getting read and make sure gcc can find it.

Yep, that was it.  Per Matthias' email I used this configure line:
   ./configure --with-libdb-prefix=/sw/ CPPFLAGS=-I/sw/include/db4/
which picked up the correct db.h file and not the /usr/include/db.h one
(I'm not sure why that is around and I can't find the actual db4
libraries)

I've placed the contents of config.log here:
  http://ladro.com/bogo/config.log.gz
in case anyone wants to look at them.

make check passes all 44 (well 42) tests.  I'll try actually using it
later on today.

Chris