Error checking Berkeley DB versions on Intel Mac

Chris Wilkes cwilkes-bf at ladro.com
Sat Apr 22 19:09:54 CEST 2006

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 12:59:28PM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Is the Berkeley DB 4.3 development (header files and static libraries)
> package - if separate - installed?

Yes, I did that manually via the "fink" program which puts files under
  /sw/include/db4/
  /sw/lib/

> > conftest.c: In function 'main':
> > conftest.c:104: warning: implicit declaration of function 'db_version'
> > conftest.c:104: warning: nested extern declaration of 'db_version'
> > conftest.c:106: error: 'DB_VERSION_MAJOR' undeclared (first use in this
> > function)
> > conftest.c:106: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> > conftest.c:106: error: for each function it appears in.)
> > conftest.c:106: error: 'DB_VERSION_MINOR' undeclared (first use in this
> > function)
> > configure:12786: $? = 1
> > configure: program exited with status 1
>
> If it is installed, try adding -I/sw/include/db43 or something like that to
> CPPFLAGS, such as:
>
> ./configure --with-libdb-prefix=/sw/ CPPFLAGS=-I/sw/include/db43
>
> The exact -I option depends on how the fink package is laid out, which I
> do not know (and I don't have time to figure this week-end).

Thanks, that did it:
  ./configure --with-libdb-prefix=/sw/ CPPFLAGS=-I/sw/include/db4
(it is db4 and not db43 ... just including this bit for the archives).

There's a /usr/include/db.h that was getting picked up.  I didn't think
to look for it as I couldn't find the libdb*.a files elsewhere on the
machine.

Chris