CP866 and 1.0.0

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Nov 29 11:49:25 CET 2005

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> We can leave CP866 in.  It's part of the "non-unicode" package that
> you're about to support with further configure.ac tests.  I suggest
> that we add an FAQ entry like:
>
>   Q: Why am I seeing a "can't find iconv" message while linking bogofilter?
>
>   A: Evidently your system doesn't support Unicode.  Try building with
> "./configure --disable-unicode"

Well, the problem is more subtle than that.

./configure and make work, but "make check" fails in t.encoding and
t.rfc2047_folded. t.encoding prints "Not supported iso-8859-1 to utf-8"
before the diff, t.rfc2047_folded prints just the diff.

Here's a trivial test program that fails on this old Solaris system
("iconv: Invalid argument") but works on Linux and newer Solaris systems
(it needs to be linked with -liconv on Solaris):

/* ----------------------------------------------------------- */
#include <iconv.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void) {
	iconv_t icd = iconv_open("UTF-8", "ISO-8859-1");
	if (icd != (iconv_t)-1) {
		iconv_close(icd);
		return 0;
	}
	perror("iconv");
	return 1;
}

I'd rather not ship a version though that is known to break "make check"
on some common system.

If you think this would push 1.0.0 too far out, then I'd suggest we
branch the CVS and call the new branch BRANCH_1-0 and release 1.0.0 from
there.

We can then fix on the trunk and backport the fix to the 1.0 branch and
release 1.0.1 with the fix later.

I hope to write the missing and showstopping announcement texts tonight.