make check passes in Solaris 10 x86

Chris Wilkes cwilkes-bf at ladro.com
Sun Nov 27 23:05:18 CET 2005

Just thought I would share with everyone that "make check" passes on a
solaris 10 x86 box I have.

# uname -a
SunOS sol01 5.10 Generic i86pc i386 i86pc

>From http://www.sunfreeware.com I installed the following packages:

* gcc 3.3.2
* Berkeley 4.2
* make (although I use the /usr/ccs/bin/make one)

Make sure to go through the steps on the sunfreeware site to update the
gcc header files or else you'll get some errors involving "ctid_t"

one weird thing I noticed was that if /usr/ccs/bin wasn't in the PATH the
  ./configure  --with-libdb-prefix=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/
wouldn't complain about not being able to find "ar" (which is in the
/usr/ccs/bin directory).  Its a little confusing as make tries do so a
" cru ..." on something (should be "ar cru ...") and it fails, not being
able to find the "cru" program.

Putting /usr/ccs/bin in the $PATH fixed that.  I'm not sure how the
configure program can check for the existance of the "ar" program.

Let me know if you want to see the config.log file and I'll send it as a
file attachment (14k gzipped).

Chris