bogofilter on cygwin (works)

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Nov 8 02:39:04 CET 2005

Boris 'pi' Piwinger <3.14 at piology.org> writes:

> Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>>> This brings me again to something I said months ago: If we
>>> want to become bogofilter to become much more popular, we
>>> should try to have it run under MS Windows.
>>
>>In order to achieve that, we'll have to set up paid support - we'd have
>>to buy other computers, Windows licenses that are good for software
>>development, and so on...
>
> Since various open source projects are able to do it I was
> hoping that someone would have those requirements.

That particular someone would necessarily have the trust of either David
or mine, and the other maintainer would have to be "neutral" or "don't
care" at worst.  That's because if a user says "works" it means
'works for him in his particular configuration, no other tested'.

> The question is: Who are the users? My impression is that
> many users here are end users (meaning: people not running
> the filter for several users, but only for themselves). This
> user group often uses Windows and does not have access to
> its mail server. So they cannot use Bogofilter. Not even
> those who have a local (Windows) mail server as included in
> the pretty popular Hamster package could run Bogofilter.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm not particularly eager to support
bogofilter on Windows. End-users often have quite specific problems,
don't read manuals, and some Windows users aren't particularly skilled
in administering their computer - Microsoft's marketing is centered
around selling the illusion Windows were simple when in fact it's way
more complex than FreeBSD.

Those who would do the Windows support would preferable be able to
figure out how to hack bogofilter by themselves, prefilter bugreports,
ditch those that are user errors, and find fixes for those that are
genuine portability issues or baseline bugs.

I don't mind the occasional reasonable non-intrusive Cygwin or MinGW
patch, but I do mind support. I'd even suggest there should then be a
bogofilter-windows mailing list so I don't need to see all the misery.