Serious Problem - db log file owner

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue May 24 13:09:45 CEST 2005

On Tue, 24 May 2005 09:48:04 +0200
Petr Danecek wrote:

> ok, i see. i will use su for registering the emails. thank you for your
> quick response and the explanation!
> petr

Hi Petr,

If you're up for experimentation, try my "group bogo" technique, i.e.
add a "bogo" group, set GID for bogofilter, bogoutil, and your
bogofilter directory (and its files), i.e.

   BOGOFILTER_DIR="/path/to/your/wordlist/"
   groupadd bogo
   chgrp bogo bogofilter bogoutil $BOGOFILTER_DIR $BOGOFILTER_DIR/*
   chmod g+s  bogofilter bogoutil $BOGOFILTER_DIR

Let us know if it works for you!

Thanks.

David

> On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 12:48, Matthias Andree wrote:
> > So
> >
> > 1. run bogofilter trainings under the right user's account (check the
> >    su(1) command), or put all bogofilter enabled users into a common
> >    root and run bogofilter with umask 02 (this requires a somewhat
> >    recent bogofilter versions, older would not leave the group write
> >    permission bit enabled).
> >
> > 2. make sure your system detects bogofilter errors and properly defers
> >    the mail - defer the mail if bogofilter exits with code 3 (used to be
> >    2 for ancient versions that did not support "unsure" classification)
> >
> > > also, i believe that bogofilter should change its behaviour - if the
> > > underlying database fails, it should not exit cowardly, but should
> > > stream the message instead.
> >
> > It can't. There's always a case when bogofilter cannot make progress and
> > exits with a signal or error code. Whenever bogofilter does not exit
> > with status 0, 1 or 2, but exits with any other status code, or with a
> > signal, you must push the message back to the queue. In many cases, this
> > means you "exit 75" from your integration script. See the documentation
> > of your MTA for details.
> >
> > Hence the exit without output isn't cowardly, but because it cannot make
> > progress. Continuing without filtering would make the whole process
> > nondeterministic, i. e. irritating, annoying to debug, and unreliable.
> >
> > Besides, question like these belong on the bogofilter@ list.
> > I'm redirecting replies there.

David Relson                   Osage Software Systems, Inc.
relson at osagesoftware.com       Ann Arbor, MI 48103
www.osagesoftware.com          tel:  734.821.8800