Why strip headers?

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Fri May 6 01:59:14 CEST 2005

On 06-May-2005, Ben Finney wrote:
> On 05-May-2005, Tom Anderson wrote:
> > I also clean up my headers with this one:
> > http://orderamidchaos.com/bogofilter/spamitarium
>
> I don't see the purpose of that one.  Why would you not give
> bogofilter all the information about the original message that you
> can, to help it learn?

Specifically, this doesn't sound right (from spamitarium's POD
documentation):

=====
Moreover, headers which do not directly influence the email in any
functional way, nor are visible to the end-user in a standard
graphical MUA, are highly likely to contain information which
spammers think will detract from normal statistical filtering. It
is therefore desireable to remove these elements, specifically
X-headers, prior to filtering.  Spamitarium removes all invisible,
non-functional header lines.
=====

Is it foolishly naïve of me to think that bogofilter knows much more
about my personal mail history than some spammer, and can judge those
bogus headers as is?

--
 \     "If you're a young Mafia gangster out on your first date, I bet |
  `\    it's real embarrassing if someone tries to kill you."  -- Jack |