Excessive memory usage: bug?

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Mar 12 22:28:21 CET 2005

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:46:12 +0100
John wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 18:55:51 -0500, David Relson wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:07:37 GMT JUANVAQUEROPONC wrote:
> > > bogofilter -s < spam.mbox
> > When registering a mailbox (like you're doing), bogofilter does the
> > following:
> Perhaps I'm missing something, but isn't the -M switch needed for
> bogofilter to split a mailbox into several messages? If so, won't
> something like "bogofilter -s < spam.mbox" result in the database
> getting filled with bogus tokens (from MIME-encoded messages) as well
> as tokens such as "Subject" being classified as spam-tokens (which
> they might or might not be).

Hi John,

You've noticed a minor inconsistency in bogofilter.  Early on, it just
knew about mailboxes (*.mbx files) and individual messages.  It could
register ('-s' and '-n') mailboxes and score individual messages.  '-M'
was added to tell it to score multiple messages in a mailbox.

Stated differently, '-M' is optional when registering multiple messages
(from mailboxes) and is necessary when scoring multiple mailboxes.

HTH,