A tristate question.

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Mar 11 01:01:57 CET 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:25:57 +0100
Laurent Darrambide wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 09:21:56AM -0500, Todd Slater wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 02:58:31PM +0100, Laurent Darrambide wrote:
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > a simple question but which bothers me:
> > >
> > > in tristate mode, how a mail classified as Unsure
> > > must be requalified after inspection.
> > >
> > > Do I use -n for good and -s for spam, or should I use -Ns and -Sn.
> > > How the message is then handled in database, regarding its previous
> > > state.
> >
> > Unsure mails are not registered in the database, so I just register then
> > with -n or -s as the case may be. Just use -Ns and -Sn when a mail is
> > misclassified.
> >
> > > And, is it possible to "forget" a learnt message, as spamassassin forget
> > > option or spamprobe remove?
> >
> > Use -S or -N, depending on how it was registered.
> >

> Thanks, very clear explanations.
>
> I'll be back I think :)

Bon jour Laurent,

Todd's explanation is correct -- as far as it goes.  If you're just
running "bogofilter -p < msg" (or similar) to score messages, the
message's tokens aren't added to the wordlist.  If you're   using the
"-u" (auto-update) flag, then ham and spam messages are registered (with
"-n" and "-s" respectively).  Bogofilter is smart enough to _not_
register Unsures (as Todd said).

If a message is incorrectly classified as spam, using "-Sn" will undo
the spam classification and do a ham classification.  For incorrect ham
classifications, "-Ns" is what to use.

HTH,