OT: virii [was: list filtering]

s. keeling keeling at spots.ab.ca
Thu Jun 23 07:20:52 CEST 2005

Incoming from Tom Anderson:
> On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 23:19, Ben Finney wrote:
> > > This was done to prevent the transmission of virii using spoofed
> > > addresses.
> >
> > Niggle: "virii" is not the plural of "virus".
> >
> >     <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural_of_virus>
> >     <URL:http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/plural-of-virus.html>
> >     <URL:http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/v/virus.html>
>
> I think the plural virii is modelled after the plural fungi.  Viruses is
> just too awkward and mundane for us leet geeks.

The purists say it's all based on Latin, and virii is non-Latin.

I argue, we're English, and steal and mangle words liberally wherever
they may come from, inventing things as we go.  Baton-Rouge, anyone?

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -
For the ChiComms: democracy     human rights     Taiwan Independence