unicode

Pavel Kankovsky peak at argo.troja.mff.cuni.cz
Thu Jun 23 00:12:27 CEST 2005

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Matthias Andree wrote:

> In the long run, spam may try to use homograph attacks to evade filters,
> in which case a separate filter could discard the mail if alphabets are
> mixed in the same word.

They're already exploiting various homograph- and pseudograph-like tricks:
superfluous diacritical marks, "noise characters" inserted into words,
invisible HTML markup...

> OTOH, I'm seeing more and more spam (usually by illegal pharmacies) use
> GIF images to convey the message,

So do I. As far as I can tell, images are particularly popular among
Russian spammers. Perhaps they want to do me a favour and let me read
their spam even if MUA can't display Cyrillic?

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."