*OT* A weird wordlist.db problem

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun Jun 12 03:28:59 CEST 2005

Tom Eastman <tom at cs.otago.ac.nz> writes:

> The Case of the Eaten Subversion Repositories was a little less
> mysterious... what happened was I (running gentoo) installed the new
> version of subversion (just a standard version bump).  But for some reason,
> when it compiled it linked to an *older* version of the berkeley db
> libraries.  The older library had a complete freakout when it saw the newer
> database format ("we don't need no steeenking forward compatibility...")
> and broke down in tears.

Yup. The same would happen with bogofilter. You can install bogofilter
linked with newer database versions with some care, usually removing the
transactional environment with bogoutil (it's all documented in
README.db).

> Luckily, in this case I wasn't silly enough to upgrade svn without dumping
> all the repositories first, so I was able to get back on my feet reasonably
> quickly.  It was still enough for me to switch to the 'fsfs' format, and I
> haven't looked back.

fsfs is the new default format, and I wonder if we should make sqlite3
the default DB for bogofilter, it's easier to build and easier to use,
fewer files, and still quite robust (a lot more robust than the
non-transactional Berkeley DB at any rate).