*SOLVED* A weird wordlist.db problem

Tom Eastman tom at cs.otago.ac.nz
Sun Jun 12 00:41:16 CEST 2005

Matthias Andree wrote:

> bogoutil -d is pointless in such cases as it isn't trying to traverse
> the database in spite of b0rked pointers, db_dump -r is the first thing
> to try and rather safe, perhaps db_dump -R which is more aggressive and
> can return bogus data.

Hey cool!  'db_dump -r' seems to have done the trick!  I hadn't tried it
before because I figured that it would probably suffer the same loop as
'bogoutil -d', and since, for some reason, my box doesn't have man pages
for any of the db_* utilities it was all kind of guesswork as to what each
one of them was doing.

db_dump *didn't* get caught in the loop, it dumped the whole thing (in a
weird unreadable format) but then loaded just as well into a new
wordlist.db file that passed the db_verify checks :-)

Running a 'bogoutil -d' on the new database dumps the whole thing nice and
fast, and even seems to include the tokens that were on the corrupt page.

Thanks guys!

        Tom