What does Bogofilter gain from Berkeley DB?

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sat Jun 11 15:10:16 CEST 2005

Ben Finney <ben at benfinney.id.au> writes:

> I have no problem with support for Berkeley DB; many seem to like it.
> But as a default for bogofilter it seems a poor choice.

IMNSHO using it as the non-transactional version is a poor choice, the
transactional version is a lot more robust, BUT it requires you to use
the bogofilter scripts for moving the database around, copy it, and
occasionally resize lock tables if you keep it growing, particularly by
the "-u" option.

> The option is there to use another backend, but doing so requires
> rebuilding the package in a non-default configuration every time it is
> upgraded, rather than (say) setting a configuration file one time
> only.

The FreeBSD port has the backend (except Berkeley DB) as part of its
name, and the ports system stores the build options in a file, so that's
easy to handle for upgrades. WRT remembering non-default configurations,
it's easy to write a two or three line long shell script that runs
./configure with the right switches and run it for upgrades.