A weird wordlist.db problem

Tom Eastman tom at cs.otago.ac.nz
Sat Jun 11 03:23:35 CEST 2005

Tom Eastman wrote:

> Okay.. I'm calm again.  Is there really no way to repair the database?
> Surely if only one branch is broken, the rest should be repairable?  on
> *either* side of the corrupted area?  You say that 'bogoutil -d' dumps
> things in order... maybe I can hack the source code to make it dump in
> *reverse* order?

Regarding repairs:

  tom at luna test $ db4.1_verify wordlist.db
  db_verify: Page 1071: last item on page sorted greater than parent entry
  db_verify: Page 1071: incorrect prev_pgno 47 found in leaf chain (should
be 742)
  db_verify: Page 1071: linked twice
  db_verify: Page 1071: incorrect next_pgno 670 found in leaf chain (should
be 233)
  db_verify: DB->verify: wordlist.db: DB_VERIFY_BAD: Database verification
failed

Is there any way of fixing this?  It doesn't look like extensive damage
-- perhaps just somehow amputating Page 1071?  I don't mind losing SOME
information... I just don't want to have to cut out everything *after*
the bad page just because it has freakouts somewhere in the middle.

It looks like it starts to repeat at 'head:I412924' through to
'ip:219.240.142.59'

So if I were to just dump and reload I would lose half the lowercase
alphabet (possibly including all the 'subj:' and stuff, too?)

What should I try and do?

        Tom