A weird wordlist.db problem

Tom Eastman tom at cs.otago.ac.nz
Fri Jun 10 16:13:25 CEST 2005

David Relson wrote:

> You've got a classic case of corrupted database, with one of the
> internal links being bad.  Running db_verify will confirm that for you.
>
> One solution is to rebuild from scratch.  Take all your saved ham and
> spam and build a new wordlist.  That's the simplest thing, though
> probably not what you want to hear.

Cool thanks for the advice, and I'll look into trying it out in the morning.
In the meantime though, I'd just like to say:

@#$@ #$!$ @#$! #@#@!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhh!!

A pox on all things Berkeley DB related!  What good does it do other than
cause poor innocent people like me to lose databases?  The mantra I think I
get is something like "Berkeley DB is a great database that can withstand
all kinds of things without getting corrupted... as long as you don't do
any of the hundreds of things that will immediately and irreparably destroy
your database..."

Sorry for the rant, this is a few months after I switched all my subversion
repositories over to fsfs because a similar problem ate all six of them.
What is Berkeley db buying bogofilter?  It doesn't seem to be peace of
mind.

Okay.. I'm calm again.  Is there really no way to repair the database?
Surely if only one branch is broken, the rest should be repairable?  on
*either* side of the corrupted area?  You say that 'bogoutil -d' dumps
things in order... maybe I can hack the source code to make it dump in
*reverse* order?

My knowledge of the database is pretty minimal... but my database itself is
only about 5 megabytes... I'm more than happy to make it available if
someone can get me a dump of it that works.

Thanks for your help.. I think I should sleep now so I can have a slightly
cooler look at it in the morning :-) In the meantime, it's still not urgent
since, quite frankly, it's still classifying mails perfectly :-)

        Tom