Newbie query: working on already delivered messages - batch mode?

David R jdavid at farfalle.com
Fri Jun 10 02:22:07 CEST 2005

Chris:

 >What version of BerkeleyDB did you use?  I'm just wondering how you went
>about upgrading that as it is usually a pain.

Dunno. I used what I'd already installed for support of other packages.
FWIW, "rpm -qa | grep db" gives:

db3-3.1.17-7
db1-1.85-5
db2-2.4.14-5
db3-devel-3.1.17-7

I did have to compile bogofilter from sources, couldn't use a pre-rolled RPM
because of dependency problems.

>That's probably not a good idea to do it to the exact same file name.
>What happens when your bogofilter script runs and the message is popped
>off the server at that moment?

Not a problem. The script is triggered by/from the (hacked) POP server
executable itself, so it's nothing will happen to the maildir while it's
running.

>and then go through those and move them into the ./Maildir/new
>directory using the "safecat" program:
>   http://jeenyus.net/~budney/linux/software/safecat.html

I'll look at it, but that still doesn't solve the problem (scoring and
adding the bogosity header to N emails without invoking bogofilter N
separate times).

>What you're doing sounds like its requires processing on each individual
>email beyond a simple "score this email" -- you're actually writing
>information to the file.

No, I'm just wanting to score it and record the score in the message via the
X-Bogosity header, so I can filter and sort it later at the client level.

-david