upgrade problem [was: simplicity vs safety with complexity]

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Wed Jan 26 20:01:34 CET 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg McCann" <greg at cambria.com>
> I am using bogofilter with procmail.  My users have customized
> ~/.procmailrc files.  There are several reasons for this, unique to each
> user.  For example, when one user goes on vacation, she wants all of her
> non-spam automatically forwarded to her Yahoo account.  Other users have
> customized lists of senders in their .procmailrc who automatically bypass
> bogofilter (or are even automatically scored as non-spam), etc..  Because
> of the individual, customized ~/.procmailrc configurations, procmail, and
> therefore bogofilter as run from procmail, gets run under the UIDs of the
> individual users.

Instead of using one wordlist, let each user maintain their own, but
cross-link them to maintain the advantage, if there is one, of the shared
wordlist.  Info on using multiple wordlists is here:
http://bogofilter.sourceforge.net/faq.shtml#multiple  This may be even more
advantageous if one or more of your users receive more similar ham/spam than
others, as they can simply leave out the wordlists from users which differ
greatly.

Tom