simplicity vs safety with complexity

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Wed Jan 26 18:28:11 CET 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jef Poskanzer" <jef at acme.com>
To: <bogofilter at bogofilter.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 12:17 PM
Subject: Re: simplicity vs safety with complexity

>>> It cannot be 100% as simple.
>>
>>I don't see why not.  Transactions should be transparent to the user.
>
> Well, they do require the user to know about them during a recovery.
> Otherwise I agree.

Right, but we have recovery procedures for the non-transactional version
too.  Therefore, the transactional version should be capable of being 100%
as simple as the non-transactional version.  The recovery will simply be
more effective and reliable.  It seems like the reason why it is complicated
is because of BerkeleyDB, but then again, I don't actually know how
complicated it is since I haven't attempted to use it yet.  If backing up or
copying wordlist.db is simply changed to backing up or copying the whole
directory rather than just a file, that doesn't seem like such a big deal.
Nonetheless, would it be possible to store the transaction logs inside of
wordlist.db???  Then presumably, it would be more similar to the
non-transactional version?

Tom