OpenBSD 3.4 isspace() b0rked

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Jan 24 21:51:38 CET 2005

John <xd890cc2b41c31d74 at f4n.org> writes:

> What's relevant is the note on isspace
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/functions/isspace.html
> which says:
> "Extension to the ISO C standard
> The functionality described is an extension to the ISO C standard.
> Application writers may make use of an extension as it is supported on
> all IEEE Std 1003.1-2001-conforming systems.
>
> With each function or header from the ISO C standard, a statement to
> the effect that ``any conflict is unintentional'' is included. That is
> intended to refer to a direct conflict. IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 acts in
> part as a profile of the ISO C standard, and it may choose to further
> constrain behaviors allowed to vary by the ISO C standard. Such
> limitations are not considered conflicts.
>
> Where additional semantics apply to a function or header, the material
> is identified by use of the CX margin legend."
>
> Since the POSIX ctype extends, not restricts, the C ctype I suppose
> this should be considered as an unintentional conflict, but I'll leave
> that and the possible resolution to the language lawyers.

The POSIX standard also claims POSIX and C locales were synonymous,
hence they cannot differ. I've taken this up to the Austin-Group list
(where these things are discussed) and am waiting for further feedback
there.  We'll see what the outcome will be.

I'm not sure if these are for public view or just for Austin subscribers:
https://www.opengroup.org/sophocles/show_archive.tpl?source=L&listname=austin-group-l&first=1&pagesize=80&searchstring=SUSv3+XBD+LC_CTYPE&zone=G