NFS and transactions?

Chris Wilkes cwilkes-bf at ladro.com
Wed Jan 19 19:55:38 CET 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 03:50:13PM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Pure interest: what makes people want to use NFS for mail services in a
> broader sense?

I want to move towards that so I can have multiple mail delivery and
POP/IMAP pointed at the same files:
  IMAP1 \
  IMAP2  +-> one NFS filesystem
  SMTP1 /

So if I need to upgrade imap1's server software I an simply take it
offline and have imap2 pick up the connections (maybe through virtual
IPs ala http://ucarp.org).

Also then I can move my scripts that run every 30 minutes to check the
"makespam" folder off from the IMAP servers themselves and on to the NFS
server.

Chris