PANIC: No such file or directory [Was: Program failure (-6)]

Greg McCann greg at cambria.com
Mon Jan 17 20:23:09 CET 2005

Hi all,

I attempted to resolve my "Program failure (-6)" problem by updating bogofilter to the latest version (0.93.4).

Unfortunately I seemed to have jumped from the frying pan into the fire.  A lot of incoming mail is getting rejected and I am now getting errors like the following:

procmail: Executing "bogofilter,-epl,-d/home/bogofilter"
Invalid log file: log.0000000002: No such file or directory
PANIC: No such file or directory
procmail: Error while writing to "bogofilter"
procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded

My users have customized .procmailrc files in their home directories, so procmail and bogofilter are executed as the users rather than root.  So the log.* and __db.* files in the bogofilter directory are owned (-rw-------) by the individual users, then when another user's process tries to open the same file, access is denied.

This is rather urgent, as legitimate mail is not getting through to users right now.  Can anyone suggest a solution for this?

Best regards,

Greg McCann