Database security with training only once in a while

Boris 'pi' Piwinger 3.14 at piology.org
Sun Jan 16 14:49:06 CET 2005

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> wrote:

>Using bogofilter with the new transaction code isn't all that hard.  The
>big difference is that a database is no longer a single file, but is now
>a directory (called a "database environment") with several files for
>locking, logging, configuration, etc.  The environment makes it possible
>for multiple programs to simultaneously read and write the database,
>something which isn't possible in old versions of bogofilter.

Well, as I said write access is not an issue for me. Read
access so far has never been a problem either.

>The config file DB_CONFIG is needed when the database is large to let
>Berkeley DB know how many locks to allocate.  Copying the environment is
>no longer a simple "cp" command, as there are log files and a program
>might be writing the database when you want to copy it.

Not in my case.

>We've added
>scripts to handle the tricky parts, i.e. bf_copy, bf_compact, bf_tar,
>and bf_resize.

bf_compact might be the solution for bogominitrain.pl. Does
bf_copy allow a forced mode for replacing a database?

>If you don't want the new capability, configure has a
>"--disable-transactions" option.  Building with that option leaves opens
>a timing window that may cause database corruption if the database is
>being written at the time of a system (or bogofilter) crash.  Of course
>you've been dealing with that possibility for a couple of years :-)

Indeed, not in problem in my case, though.

>The transaction code has become much easier to deal with as bogofilter
>has gone from 0.93.0 to 0.93.4.  It's in good shape now!

When do we expect the next stable version? This would be a
time for me to start using it and change bogominitrain.pl.

pi