bogofilter maintenance

prlwytzkofski2000 at xs4all.nl prlwytzkofski2000 at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 16 10:22:10 CET 2005

Hi everybody,

I am wondering whether there is a recommended way to keep bogofilter
running smoothly ?
Maybe a periodic cronjob which purges old data from the tables to
prevent them from growing too big, ensure consistency, stuff like that ?

Also, is there some automated way to prevent what happened the other day ?
After upgrading bogofilter on debian testing to 0.93.3.1, I ran into
unrecoverable problems with the DB  :
bogofilter: DB_ENV->open, err: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database environment
version mismatch
After trying some of the recovery suggestions from the website and
suggestions from bogoutil itself (which all failed), I just gave up.

This really freaked me out. Before this happened, I was extremely happy
with bogofilter, it's fast, and the spam recognition percentage was
basically 100%.
A rollback seemed like a good idea, but, for the life of me, I just
couldn't remember the name of the website with the old Debian packages.
Couldn't find it on debian.org either. Maybe it's secret information or
something ...
So, I decided to switch to spamassassin, but I didn't like it very much
and it's slow. Compared to bogofilter, it's a hog. Therefore,
back to bogofilter and accept that I had to start from scratch and
rebuild, retrain etc.
Things are getting back together, but now I want to prevent this from
happening ever again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,