upgrading from bogofilter version 0.15.7

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Jan 16 03:24:59 CET 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:13:53 -0800
Chris Fortune wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I know I can extract this information from the manuals, but it's my hope that somebody (or multiple somebodies) on this list already
> has a checklist for upgrading from bogofilter version 0.15.7 to the current version, on RedHat Linux 9.  I will compile this
> checklist and post it here after a successful install.
>
> Thanks!

Chris,

I'm going to let one of the RedHat users answer this one with true facts
and actual experience.

My recollection is that there are issues with the way Berkeley DB is
built for RedHat and that causes problems for bogofilter.  If you have a
test system available, you can confirm whether I've got my facts right.

In any case, start with a backup!  Using "bogoutil -d" will dump your
wordlist as a text file, which is a good, safe way for it to be.  You
can verify that the text file is good, i.e. has both the beginning and
end of the alphabet.

When you upgrade, you can go to either 0.92.8 or 0.93.4.  Both are good
and solid.  The main difference is that 0.93.4 uses BerkeleyDB
transactions to allow multiple readers and writers of the database and
to protect against database corruption should bogofilter (or your
machine) crash in the middle of an update.  A cautious approach would be
upgrade in 2 step - to 0.92.8, then to 0.93.4

Of course, I may have misremembered past issues with RedHat and they may
have been corrected.

Oh yes, DO at least look through the RELEASE.NOTES and README.DB files.

HTH,