Bogofilter locks too much

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Wed Jan 5 16:21:58 CET 2005

From: "Matthias Andree" <matthias.andree at gmx.de>
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
>> FYI, that big password file email that was choking got incorrectly
>> classified as spam.  This is a little wierd as I've gotten similar
>> mails in the past from the same person and have saved them in my
>> ham training set, which I used to train this time.
>>
>> I probably should train all over again now that this is fixed..
>
> Or train that particular mail so often until bogofilter -v reports it as
> ham. It's cheating and aloof from the pure teachings but to emulate a
> white list with marginal side effects it might work.

I've been doing this on every email (automatically via bfproxy) for over a
year, and it works beautifully.  All corrections are registered over and
over until they score correctly.  Now my FP and FN rates are near zero.  In
fact, except for a brief period during which my database got corrupted, I
haven't received any FPs in well over a year.  And I might get one or two
FNs per week now.  I still get a few unsures (mostly spam) per day though.
Even if this doesn't strictly agree with the statistical theory behind the
system, it definitely works.

Tom