Fatal error

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Mon Feb 28 07:24:43 CET 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 07:48, David Relson wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 22:23:50 +1000
> Mark Constable wrote:
>
> > I have a feeling I'm going to have to rebuild most of 4k
> > databases and I have no corpus to start from so are there
> > any recommended bogofilter friendly ham/spam collections
> > out there ?

> Another method would be to turn bogofilter on, have your MUA filter on
> Unsure and Spam classifications, verify the classification of each
> incoming message, and train on errors and unsures.  After a day or two
> (perhaps 100 each of ham and spam), bogofilter should be doing a pretty
> good job.  After a week or so, it should be doing very well.

Yep, there's no need to find a corpus... just train on error.  You'll be
golden in a week or less.  I'd wager you'll get 50% after the first
day.  Bogofilter can actually be much better at recognizing ham than
spam, so most of your spam will be either filtered or unsure after
registering just a few hams.

Also, supplement bogofilter with some other techniques like DNSBLs,
greylisting, and SPF, and the impact of not having bogofilter for even a
short period will be greatly reduced.  These things will never entirely
replace a good content filter like bogofilter, but they'll more than
take the edge off.

Tom