Fatal error

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sat Feb 26 15:59:16 CET 2005

Mark Constable <markc at renta.net> writes:

> Sometimes it seems RTFM can be more dangerous than not.
> Would anyone have a suggestion what I should do now ?
>
> bogofilter version 0.93.5 Berkeley DB 4.3.27: (December 22, 2004)
>
> % db4.3_verify wordlist.db
> db_verify: Page 728: btree or recno page is of inappropriate type 2
> db_verify: Page 729: btree or recno page is of inappropriate type 2
> db_verify: wordlist.db: DB_VERIFY_BAD: Database verification failed

BTW, one more thing: was the tested wordlist.db under training while
you've run db4.3_verify? If so, db4.3_verify failures are meaningless as
db4.3_verify does not lock the database from bogofilter access. Errors
as you see may happen if, for instance, a page is just being split while
hit by db4.3_verify -- use "bogoutil --db-verify wordlist.db" instead.

> % db4.3_dump -r wordlist.db | db4.3_load wordlist.new
> db_load: line 1: unexpected format
> db_dump: wordlist.db: Input/output error

Can you run db4.3_dump under strace or truss supervision so we get to
know more about the Input/output error? If it's EIO, check the kernel
logs; failing hard drives and kernel bugs can cause these.

> % bogoutil -d wordlist.db > wordlist.txt
> Log sequence error: page LSN 1 422781; previous LSN 2 231335
> Recovery function for LSN 1 422781 failed on forward pass

This looks like log.* and *.db files didn't match somehow.

At any rate, neither of the three steps above can have made things worse.

> PANIC: Invalid argument
> PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
> bogoutil: DB_ENV->open, err: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
> To recover, run: bogoutil -v --db-recover "."
>
> % bogoutil -v --db-recover "."
> Log sequence error: page LSN 1 422781; previous LSN 2 231335
> Recovery function for LSN 1 422781 failed on forward pass
> PANIC: Invalid argument
> PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
> bogoutil: DB_ENV->open, err: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
> To recover, run: bogoutil -v --db-recover "."

Same output as from bogoutil -d, as the latter will probably have tried
recovery as well.

Sorry. As written in my mail as of a few minutes ago, please try to
report what other operations have been performed on the database, so we
can see what's going on.

Is the database on a networked file system, NFS, AFS, Coda or such?