Fatal error

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sat Feb 26 15:53:23 CET 2005

Mark Constable <markc at renta.net> writes:

> Well I've done quite a bit of RTFM and now I've totally
> hosed my setup, it appears. I should have left well enough
> alone.

I haven't seen, from your postings, *how* you have hosed your setup. I
only saw --db-verify and --db-recover failing. Do you have a log of your
shell, perhaps cut down to mention only bogofilter related commands?
("history >commands.log", then edit commands.log)

gmane.org has the easiest to use archive, as I wrote here:

>> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.bogofilter.general/9265>,

>> and review it for recovery procedures. From the errors you posted,
>> I'd guess you need to remove the directory and then retrain from
>> scratch.  Did your computer crash previously?
>
> No. That's not likely with our co-lo.

I have asked whether it crashed, not whether that was likely.  Please
check the logs, "last reboot", /var/log/messages or something like that.

A friend of mine 15 months ago had a serious complaint about a hoster as
they were responsible for a blackout of one of his production machines
that had dual PSU and for which he had ordered (and paid for) redundant
independent power supply.  So much as for the congruence of likeliness
and occurrence...

>> If so and it was a crash due to a
>> blackout, please switch off the write caches, also in the README.db
>> file.
>
> Most suggestions involve turning off the mailserver which
> is close to impossible in my case... it's way too busy.

Do you have a backup mail server that could jump in for the while you
are fixing your main machine?

Otherwise, if you are using maildrop for bogofilter integration, you can
just chmod +t ~user1, fix user1's database, chmod -t ~user1 - that is
sufficient, and will just defer mail for user1. If you can script this,
it should be managable, albeit not necessarily fast.