verify vs recover

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Feb 25 15:54:23 CET 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:42:36 -0300
Andre Galvani wrote:

> Hi Matthias,
>
> Is The options for verify and recovery the db file is only available for
> bogoutil version 0.93 ?
> I'm using bogofilter 0.92 and I didn't see this options...
> Can I use bogoutil 0.93 for recovery a db file that is read for
> bogofilter 0.92 ?
>

> tks,
> Andre

Hi Andre,

As you've guessed, Matthias is the expert in these areas, but I'll do
the best I can.  Bogofilter's verify and recovery capabilities are new
additions in the 0.93 series and don't exist in 0.92 or earlier
versions.  They add the capabilities of the stand-alone Berkeley DB
utilities db_verify and db_recovery to bogofilter.  If you're in need of
recovery, running the utilities will work fine.

Since the options work with the wordlist.db file and the format of
database files has not changed, you should be able to use the bogoutil
options.  To be safe, copy wordlist.db to a new directory and use the
new directory when you run bogoutil.  That way you can see what happens
without danger to the working copy of wordlist.db.  If the result is
good, you can replace the old wordlist with the new one.  To be save,
I'd copy wordlist.db to wordlist.db.old before copying the new one.

HTH,