catastrophic recovery required

Pavel Kankovsky peak at argo.troja.mff.cuni.cz
Sat Feb 19 20:58:18 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Matthias Andree wrote:

> - try to configure database page size to what the filesystem can write
>   atomically (I posted a patch in response to Tom's post), 512 bytes is
>   the value to use for regular hard disk drives, ATA as SCSI.

This assumes the hardware guarantees atomicity of single sector write
operations. To be honest, I would not trust the hardware (esp. current
"modern" cheap commodity hardware) to provide such a guarantee, even with
write cache disabled.

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."