catastrophic recovery required

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Sun Feb 6 10:51:02 CET 2005

[David and Karl, please respect my Mail-Followup-To header field on this
list; I'm subscribed to the list, so followups should go there. Thanks!]

On 05-Feb-2005, David Relson wrote:
> Ben Finney wrote:
> > Today a run of bogofilter tells me "catastrophic recovery required".
>
> What a way to start the day -- an error on the far side of the world,
> in the land down under.  Uh, boy!

Hey, the 'net is global, just like spam :-)

> Did anything unusual happen?  Power failure, operating system crash,
> bogofilter crash, ...?

I think I'll detail in a separate post something unusual (that I haven't
bothered reporting before now), since in light of all the replies I've
seen it may be relevant.

In short, the error seems to be gone now, after a 'bf_compact'.  Thus, I
can't reproduce it to answer everyone's helpful questions :-/

> What's your environment?  Operating system, processor, networking,
> ...?  Did you build bogofilter yourself?  What options?

Debian GNU/Linux "sarge" (3.1 prerelease).

=====
$ uname -a
Linux iris 2.6.8 #1 Thu Aug 26 18:23:59 EST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
$ cat /etc/debian_version
3.1
$ dpkg -s bogofilter | grep '^Version:'
Version: 0.93.5-1
=====

On 05-Feb-2005, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Ben Finney <ben at benfinney.id.au> writes:
> > bogoutil: DB_ENV->open, err: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run
> > database recovery
>
> This bogus recommendation will be fixed in the next bogofilter release,
> the code has been in CVS for a couple of days now.

Ah.  To be replaced by what?  A different suggestion, or no suggestion?

> Particularly, does "db_verify wordlist.db" pass without errors (no
> output at all means "good")?

I don't seem to have the 'db_verify' command.

> Have you removed log files?

I didn't; I merely ran the 'bogoutil --db-recover-harder ~/.bogofilter'
command.

> Have you copied around log files or .db files?

Not manually, though I presume that's what my nightly 'bf_compact' is
doing.

> Has your computer crashed (power failure, or perhaps kernel panic when
> a filesystem was mounted asynch)?

In the last few weeks I've had several power failures, yes.  No
filesystem anomolies though (praise journalled filesystems :-)

On 05-Feb-2005, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Ben Finney <ben at benfinney.id.au> writes:
> > What are my options from here?
>
> See section 3.3 of the enclosed document (below) for recovery options.

Thanks.  I think this one (README.db) is included in Debian's bogofilter
package.

On 05-Feb-2005, Karl Schmidt wrote:
> You should consider archiving all your ham AND spam for future
> training.

I do; I've recently re-trained bogofilter from my several years'
archives.  It was a right pain, and I hope it's not necessary again.

--
 \       "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a |
  `\                      thought without accepting it."  -- Aristotle |