catastrophic recovery required

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sat Feb 5 18:51:40 CET 2005

Ben Finney <ben at benfinney.id.au> writes:

> Howdy all,
>
> Today a run of bogofilter tells me "catastrophic recovery required".
>
> =====
> $ bogoutil -v --db-recover-harder /home/bignose/.bogofilter
> checksum error: page 2004: catastrophic recovery required
> PANIC: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
> wordlist.db: pgin failed for page 2004
> unable to create/retrieve page 2004
> PANIC: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
> Recovery function for LSN 47 489705 failed on forward pass
> PANIC: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
> PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
> bogoutil: DB_ENV->open, err: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database
> recovery

This bogus recommendation will be fixed in the next bogofilter release,
the code has been in CVS for a couple of days now.

> What are my options from here?  How can I further diagnose this?

Answering David's questions should help us diagnose a bit of your
problem.

Particularly, does "db_verify wordlist.db" pass without errors (no
output at all means "good")?

Have you removed log files?

Have you copied around log files or .db files?

Has your computer crashed (power failure, or perhaps kernel panic when a
filesystem was mounted asynch)?