RPMS [was: ANN: bogofilter 1.0.1-pre RPMs ...]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Dec 30 17:18:03 CET 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:13:33 -0500
bogo at escom.com wrote:

> Matthias Andree writes:
> > RHL 7.1, too?  Great, that's more than I expected.
>
> I had expected your RPMs to work with RH 9 but I also wondered whether
> it would work on 7.1.
>
> > While it's not my call, if I were the systems administrator, I'd upgrade
> > from 7.1 or 9.0 to a supported version.
>
> These are limited-functionality appliances built back when those RH
> releases were current.  And they're running now at customer sites,
> so it isn't my call either.
>
> We're testing CentOS now as a platform for new installs, and so I was
> particularly happy to see that your static RPMs work well with our
> minimal CentOS 3.6 install.
>
> > Chances are we'll be providing these for a while ...
> > We're not sure yet if we'll rename the RPMs and if we'll build only
> > these static versions, or if we'll also have bogofilter RPMs that
> > require sqlite3 or db42 RPMs (they make for a smaller download and less
> > memory footprint at run-time).
>
> The availability of static all-in-one RPMs is great news for our customers,
> since it is the simplest installation possible, less to go wrong, etc.
> And any of our customers that are concerned about performance/memory can
> download and build bogofilter from source.  It's the best of both worlds.
>
> Thanks again to you and to David Relson.  If you want me to run the same
> sort of tests on subsequent significant releases, just let me know.
>
> Al Donaldson

Hi Al,

I'm in the midst of tweaking the build process (esp. Makefile.am and
bogofilter.spec.in) to generate the desired rpms for 1.0.1, i.e.

   bogofilter-1.0.1-1.src.rpm
   bogofilter-db42-1.0.1-1.i586.rpm
   bogofilter-db42-static-1.0.1-1.i586.rpm
   bogofilter-sqlite-1.0.1-1.i586.rpm
   bogofilter-sqlite-static-1.0.1-1.i586.rpm

If you've got time to test the rpm build process _before_ I release
1.0.1, let me know and I can make a .tar.gz file available.

Regards,