multi-user [was: New Release: Bogofilter 1.0.0]

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Wed Dec 28 01:48:44 CET 2005

David Relson wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 05:47:57 -0500
> Tom Allison wrote:
>
> ...[snip]...
>
>>I have a confession about bogofilter.  I rarely read the list anymore and I
>>rarely spend much if any time thinking about it.  It's that I'm too busy to
>>care, but bogofilter has fallen into that small realm of things that, once set
>>up, just never need any baby-sitting.  There's a few scripts I've put together
>>over the years to accomodate my needs and with those, it's happily chunking
>>along for months at a time without any fussing.
>>
>>Now I have to go read up on the new and improved features of 1.0.0.
>>
>>Not to derail anything, but it inquire, has there been any thought to pooling
>>some of the various scripts, techniques (ASN), or architectures compiled on how
>>to use bogofilter?
>>
>>Theres some light discussion on how to deploy in a multi-user environment, but
>>I'm not certain that any of these scale all that well (I don't know that I want
>>procmail running on 3500 individual accounts on one server...)
>

> Hi Tom,
>
> There are people who have procmail running for many more than 3500
> accounts.  I suspect you meant "bogofilter" in that last sentence.
>
> Of course, there's at least 1 bogofilter installation (a Canadian
> university) with 60,000+ accounts :->
>
> In any case, the usual issue with multiple accounts is whether to have
> a system wordlist or individual wordlists and how to do updates.  I
> suspect you're worried about the individual wordlist scenario, which
> could well use require lots of disk space.
>
> With a system wordlist, the simplest thing to do is only allow the sys
> admin to update it.  Have users forward mistakes to the sys admin who
> checks them and does updates.  Allowing users to do their own updates
> isn't such a great idea, AFAICT.

That's some impressive bogofilter stats.

I guess what I'm not clear on is how you would run that many accounts on a mail
server today.  The typical approach for procmail is to have it configured for
each user (passwd) on the system.  But for 60,000 email accounts (or any large
number) you don't want them all to have their own account but use virtual
accounts.  Under that approach I'm not sure how you would configure
procmail/bogofilter to play nice (even if you did use individual bogofilter
wordlists).