bogofilter-static-1.0.0-1 RPM problem (CentOS 3.6)

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Dec 22 21:01:34 CET 2005

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:42:00 -0500
David Relson wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 13:12:36 -0500
> bogo at escom.com wrote:
>
> > ESCOM supports customers on a variety of platforms including RH 7.1, RH 9,
> > RHEL, Fedora 3, and we're testing CentOS 3.6 now and probably 4.x later on.
> > When I tried to install bogofilter-static-1.0.0-1 on CentOS 3.6 I got the
> > following error:
> >
> >   # rpm -ivh bogofilter-static-1.0.0-1.i586.rpm
> >   error: bogofilter-static-1.0.0-1.i586.rpm: rpmReadSignature failed: region trailer: BAD, tag 15872 type 2047 offset 20480 count 4096
> >   error: bogofilter-static-1.0.0-1.i586.rpm cannot be installed
> >
> > BTW, the same RPM installs and runs fine on Fedora 3, but that is the only
> > platform that has worked for me.
>
> FWIW, the bogofilter rpm was built on a Mandriva 2006.0 system with
> rpm-4.4.2-4mdk.i586.rpm installed.  I've BCC'd one of the rpm
> developers with this message to see what light he can shed.
>

> > In separate messages to David Relson,
> > I documented that this RPM installs on RH9, but bogoutil dumps core when
> > trying to create wordlist.db from a text dump, e.g.,
> >
> >   cat wordlist.txt | bogoutil -l wordlist.db
> >
> > I note that CentOS is running rpm-4.2.3-24_nonptl, which would appear to be
> > newer than the RH 9 rpm-4.2-0.69.  My guess is that this is some sort of
> > incompatibility with the CentOS rpm executable.

'Tis also possible that there's something "special" in your
wordlist.txt file that's causing trouble.  If you'd care to bzip2 it
and ftp it to ftp.bogofilter.org, I can check out that possibility.

By the way, I've looked at the core file you sent me and it was built
with " GCC: (GNU) 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)".
Unfortunately that puts it squarely into the "built by person or
persons unknown" category, and there's no telling what options were
used for the build.

If you'd care to upload a core file from bogoutil v1.0.0, I can take a
look at that too.

HTH,