bogofilter-static-1.0.0-1 RPM problem (CentOS 3.6)

bogo at escom.com bogo at escom.com
Thu Dec 22 19:12:36 CET 2005

ESCOM supports customers on a variety of platforms including RH 7.1, RH 9,
RHEL, Fedora 3, and we're testing CentOS 3.6 now and probably 4.x later on.
When I tried to install bogofilter-static-1.0.0-1 on CentOS 3.6 I got the
following error:

  # rpm -ivh bogofilter-static-1.0.0-1.i586.rpm
  error: bogofilter-static-1.0.0-1.i586.rpm: rpmReadSignature failed: region trailer: BAD, tag 15872 type 2047 offset 20480 count 4096
  error: bogofilter-static-1.0.0-1.i586.rpm cannot be installed

BTW, the same RPM installs and runs fine on Fedora 3, but that is the only
platform that has worked for me.  In separate messages to David Relson,
I documented that this RPM installs on RH9, but bogoutil dumps core when
trying to create wordlist.db from a text dump, e.g.,

  cat wordlist.txt | bogoutil -l wordlist.db

I note that CentOS is running rpm-4.2.3-24_nonptl, which would appear to be
newer than the RH 9 rpm-4.2-0.69.  My guess is that this is some sort of
incompatibility with the CentOS rpm executable.

I'd really prefer to point ESCOM's customers to an official RPM on the bogofilter
site rather than being involved in building and distributing bogofilter
binary+source distributions.  But that plan isn't working out so well.

If anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate them.  And if I've violated any
conventions with my first posting to this list, just let me know.  Thanks,

Al